Astrill Application:Other Features and Options
Astrill application has 3 Modes of VPN, OpenWeb, OpenVPN and StealthVPN, you can switch between these protocols with a single click.
- You can switch between modes from the Astrill app title bar. By default, Astrill app is set to Openweb mode. Click on the drop down arrow to show other modes.
- OpenWeb Mode works in all major Web Browsers (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, Safari, Google Chrome). This VPN usually offers faster surfing speeds and has more features. It is also suitable for web surfing and streaming videos websites (such as YouTube, Vimeo, Vevo, and many others).
- OpenVPN Mode is based on industry standard SSL encryption (AES or BlowFish). Traffic from all applications is protected and this VPN works also with P2P applications (Bittorrent).
- StealthVPN brings better security with 2-layer encryption. Works on Windows/Mac/Linux/android. Works even in countries with high censorship, like China, UAE, Syria, etc.
- If you're in Openweb, click on the SETTINGS menu to see Openweb Options.
- If you choose OpenVPN, click on the SETTINGS menu, it automatically switches to OpenVPN Options.
- If you choose StealthVPN, click on the SETTINGS menu, it automatically switches to StealthVPN Options.
This feature allows you to customize the visibility of your Astrill application. By default, Show Tray Icon and Always on Top is selected as you can see from the picture below.
1. Click on SETTINGS menu and choose User Interface....
2. Show Tray Icon - This shows Astrill icon in the system tray, blinking while connected to server.
3. Simple Icon - This shows Astrill icon in the system tray which doesn't blink.
4. Always on Top - This keeps Astrill on top of other windows.
5. Use big servers menu - This will show a big drop down menu with servers list which makes it easier to find a server.
6. Hot Key - This will set system global Hot-key which toggles Astrill ON/OFF.
7. Click OK to save changes.
8. If you tick Simple Icon, it will show Astrill simple icon which does not blink from system tray as shown from Screenchot 1.
9. If you untick Always on Top, this will show Astrill windows from the background as shown from Screenshot 2.
10. If you tick Use big servers menu, this will expand servers list to a big drop down menu of servers as shown from Screenshot 3.
11. If you set CTRL as Hot key, you can start using CTRL button to toggle Astrill app ON/OFF.
12. Always click OK for every changes you made.
Astrill has a Proxy (optional) Feature for users who are on company, school or work place network which requires clients to use proxy to gain internet access. So if you intent to use proxy, then the only way Astrill will work for you is if you put proxy settings. We support HTTP, HTTPS, SOCKS4, SOCKS4a, SOCKS5... proxy type.
1. Click on SETTINGS menu and choose Proxy Settings... option.
2. By default, it is set to No Proxy.
3. If you click on the drop down arrow, you can see the other option such as HTTP, HTTPS, SOCKS4, SOCKS4a, SOCKS5.
4. For example you choose HTTP proxy from school, you have to choose HTTP.
5. Enter your Proxy Address.
6. Enter Port.
7. Enter Username.
8. Enter Password.
9. You can uncheck Basic Authentication box if proxy doesn't work.
10. Click OK to save changes.
Astrill has a built-in feature where you can change your Astrill account's password within few seconds.
1. Click on SETTINGS menu and select Change Password option.
2. Type in your Current password.
3. Type in your New password.
- You are requested to set a password that is at least 8 characters long. It must contain at least ONE OF EACH of the following categories:
- lowercase alphabet letter: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
- uppercase alphabet letter: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
- number: 0123456789
- special character: !@#$%^&*()?.,_-=;+
4. Retype your new password in Repeat new password.
5. You can use Cancel button if you want to cancel/try to set again.
6. Click on OK button to save changes.
Router Setup Wizard
This is the quick and intuitive way to install Astrill vpn on Router. It is mandatory to have a router which is flashed with DD-WRT, Tomato or Merlin firmware and then you can use this Router Setup Wizard to install Astrill applet on your router.
1. Click on HELP menu and choose Router Setup... option to open Router Setup Wizard.
2. Select Install Astrill on my router, if you already flashed your router with the correct firmware.
3. You can choose Uninstall Astrill from my router if, for some reason, you need to uninstall Astrill applet on your router.
4. You can use Click here to view list of supported routers, to check if your router supports DD-WRT firmware.
5. Tick this Find my router automatically so that the system can install the applet on your router. This may require your router login details as well.
6. Click on the NEXT button to proceed to the installation process.
7. Once it is installed, you will be prompted that the installation is already finished. You will need to go to Status tab -> My Page tab from your router control page to access Astrill on your router.
This is how the Astrill VPN applet on DD-WRT firmware router looks like.
This is how theAstrill VPN applet on Tomato firmware router looks like.
You need a router with supported firmware:
DD-WRT: v24 Build 13309 or newer.
Supported builds: OpenVPN, Big, Mega, Giga.
Tomato: v1.28 or newer.
Supported build: VPN.
You can click here to view list of supported routers
- Router MUST have 8 MB FLASH MEMORY for OpenVPN to be installed.
- Openvpn, Big, Mega and Giga build is required since OpenVPN binaries is not included in lighter versions of DD-WRT
Note2: We even provide pre-installed routers with Astrill VPN at very affordable rates. All Astrill VPN routers come preinstalled with Astrill VPN and ready to use immediately. You get access to all Astrill VPN servers (330 servers in 50 countries with free and unlimited switches), and you have option to add private IPs as well. You can order them from this page - https://www.astrill.com/astrill-vpn-routers.php
You can easily test Astrill VPN servers Speed and Ping using its unique Speed Test tool. This tool is more accurate than web based tools like speedtest.net.
1. Click on HELP menu and choose Speed Test... option in the drop down list.
2. You can see the list of servers. In Select country, it is set to All countries by default. You can click on the drop down arrow to choose specific country to test.
3. This is the speed meter set in kb/s, it will start to move if you click on Test or Test All button below.
4. You can tick the Test ping only box if you want to test ping only without speed.
5. You can click on Test button if you selected a specific country to test.
6. You can click on Test All button if you want to check the speed/ping of all servers available.
Online Help option redirects you to Astrill Wiki page where you can find configurations for all the devices that Astrill supports.
1. Click on HELP menu then choose Online Help.
2. It will redirect you to Astrill's Wiki page. You can find the tutorial links for different devices supported by Astrill and all the features included from Astrill application.
Show Tips feature provides users with useful Tips & Tricks on each start up of Astrill application.
1. Click on HELP menu from Astrill application and click on Show Tips....
2. It will redirect you to the Astrill Tip of the Day! that pops out every start up of Astrill application.
3. This shows the Page number over the total number of pages.
4. You can untick this box to disable Astrill Tip of the Day from popping out every start up.
5. Click on <<Prev (previous) button to show the previous page.
6. Click on Next>> button to show the next page.
This option enables you to reset your Astrill application's settings to it's factory default.
1. Click on HELP menu and select Reset Settings... option.
2. Click on Yes or No / [X] button to Confirm or Cancel the prompt.
Show Log feature shows the progress of connection.
Here is how it works:
1. Click on HELP menu and select Show Log... option to open.
2. New window will pop out and shows Astrill Log where you can see your connection progress.
In case you encounter any issue with connection, it will show the connection progress and there you can see what is wrong. You can also copy/paste and send this log to Astrill support for help in order to resolve the issue.
This option will redirect you to contact us page where users can contact Astrill support department via Email, Live Chat, and other options.
1. Click on HELP menu and then choose Contact Us.
2. You will be redirected to Contact us page from Astrill's official website.
- Fill in this form to contact Astrill support via email.
- Here you can find contact details of different departments.
- Click on Live Chat widget to talk to a Live Chat support representative.